Welcome to the Virginia Society of Addiction Medicine (VASAM)
The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) issued a Chapter Charter for the Virginia Society of Addiction Medicine on April 20, 1996. Learn more about VASAM Membership.
The mission of VASAM is to provide a medium for Virginia physicians and medical trainees with special interests in addiction medicine to meet and address issues of mutual interest.
The purpose of VASAM shall be
- to enable networking with colleagues in addiction medicine
- to provide closer liaison between VASAM members and the national activities of ASAM
- to provide liaison to other Virginia physicians and physician societies regarding addiction medicine issues
- to increase public awareness in Virginia about the existence and vitality of physician specialty of addiction medicine
- to increase public awareness in Virginia about problems related to addiction
- to promote professionalism in the delivery of services to patients with problems which result from addiction
- to be a physician resource for state and national public policy issues that affect addiction medicine services and patients with addiction.
The goals of VASAM are to provide
- a forum for sharing ideas between Virginia addictionists, especially regarding clinical management strategies and strategies for interfacing with managed care organizations
- a vehicle for increased professionalism and higher quality information, prevention, training, and treatment regarding addiction problems
- an enhancement of knowledge and attitudes amongst Virginia citizens and institutions about the primary nature of the disease of addiction
- a channel for Virginia input into national standards of care in addiction medicine
- a channel for Virginia input into health care reform initiatives
- a vehicle for assisting Virginia physicians in recovery.