Welcome to the Virginia Society of Addiction Medicine (VASAM)
Visit the nation's Capital this autumn for the 2019 VASAM Annual Meeting just outside of Washington DC in Fairfax, Virginia!
Click here for Registration details and Sponsorship opportunities.
The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) issued a Chapter Charter for the Virginia Society of Addiction Medicine on April 20, 1996. Learn more about VASAM Membership.
The mission of VASAM is to provide a medium for Virginia physicians and medical trainees with special interests in addiction medicine to meet and address issues of mutual interest.
The purpose of VASAM shall be
- to enable networking with colleagues in addiction medicine
- to provide closer liaison between VASAM members and the national activities of ASAM
- to provide liaison to other Virginia physicians and physician societies regarding addiction medicine issues
- to increase public awareness in Virginia about the existence and vitality of physician specialty of addiction medicine
- to increase public awareness in Virginia about problems related to addiction
- to promote professionalism in the delivery of services to patients with problems which result from addiction
- to be a physician resource for state and national public policy issues that affect addiction medicine services and patients with addiction.
The goals of VASAM are to provide
- a forum for sharing ideas between Virginia addictionists, especially regarding clinical management strategies and strategies for interfacing with managed care organizations
- a vehicle for increased professionalism and higher quality information, prevention, training, and treatment regarding addiction problems
- an enhancement of knowledge and attitudes amongst Virginia citizens and institutions about the primary nature of the disease of addiction
- a channel for Virginia input into national standards of care in addiction medicine
- a channel for Virginia input into health care reform initiatives
- a vehicle for assisting Virginia physicians in recovery.